Monday, February 22, 2010

Wow, this IS fun!

All year long my first grader has been bringing home a list of spelling words every Monday that we were supposed to practice all week in preparation for the big spelling test on Friday. We would go over the words every day after school as soon as we struggled through the rest of that night's homework (the sight words, the reading assignment, the reading comprehension page, the math page and the math fact flash cards). Now I don't mean to complain, but this homework takes a while and obviously this teacher doesn't care that I never get to see Ellen or Dr Phil anymore.

Then about a month ago I pulled out the weekly spelling word list only to see a note that looked something like this attached to it. Mind you, I am paraphrasing....

Because some of you lame parents are not doing your job and going over your spelling words with your kids, we are now going to hold you to an even higher standard of ridiculousness. Get ready to have absolutely no free time because this new method of practicing your spelling words is sure to cause frustration, fights, tears and total mental breakdowns. The word list will be sent home every Monday with your creative spelling project being due back a mere 17 hours later, hardly enough time for the glue to dry. :-) We would like you to be creative and use a different method every Monday so that as teachers we can judge which of you are the better parents. Grab a drink and let's get started with this new FUN spelling adventure.

Here are examples of the fun new ways we would like you to practice your spelling words with your kids:
___glue and glitter
___write with cereal letters
___cut out letters from magazines and glue to paper
___use play dough or clay
___write in shaving cream
___trace in flour or sugar on your kitchen counter
___cut letters into jello or cookies using alphabet cookie cutters
___use the paperwork from the doctor who declares you clinically insane because you are having to try to come up with stupid--oh excuse me--FUN ways to practice the damn spelling words because apparently just writing them in pencil on a piece of paper is just way too main stream


I've done all the easy ones I can think of. We have done rainbow writing, glue and glitter, writing in flour.....I'm thinking this week we will write them in spray paint on the teacher's garage door. That's creative, right?

2 comments:

  1. oh crap how am I going to do this?? I did not sign up for this when I became a mom....I just signed up for the going over the spelling words each week. So problem for you and problem for you!!

    Good luck with this mama, and I am hoping we don't get any teachers that are wanting to do a parenting check!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was suppose to be problem for you and problem for me!!

    ReplyDelete