Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shouldn't you have offered me dinner and a movie first?

I should have been prepared for this. I mean, I was warned by a really sweet friend who moved to California from another state that this was going to happen....but I was still shocked. And I don't just mean the shock like, "Oh, wow, that is kind of a surprise.", but the kind of shock that leaves you breathless and speechless.

Let me start by saying that I love my dog and under no circumstance do I want him to be in any pain or discomfort of any type. Which is why I am pretty diligent about taking him in for his yearly checkups and am pretty good about following whatever orders a vet may give me. He has bad teeth so we tend to have to take him in about every two years to be put under anaesthesia and have his teeth really deep cleaned.

Wellllllllllll, I just had my first experience with an Orange County California veterinarian and just let me say that I am still in a state of complete and utter disbelief.

Vet bill for teeth cleaning (including pre surgery lab and using "people grade" anaesthesia) in Texas--------$250

Vet bill for teeth cleaning (including lab work but no guarantee on the anaesthesia) in California-------$1242. Did you hear me correctly???? One Thousand, Two Hundred and Forty Two Dollars!!!!!! Let me say this again...$1242

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!

I tried to explain that I thought they had misunderstood, I wasn't looking to actually purchase a new dog--just to have the teeth cleaned on the one I already have.

I'd love to say "vet bill....$1242; sweet dog breath....priceless", but for the love of God I could buy a plane ticket, fly back to Texas, pay the $100 fee to take my dog with me on the plane and go back to my vet in Texas who would charge me a very reasonable $250 for the procedure and still come in under the $1242 estimate.

I get it....you Californians love your climate. When I complain about the cost of living, you make a grand gesture of pointing to the sky and say, "Yes, but you are paying for this!" But come on people.....

3 comments:

  1. But come on already!!! RIDICULOUS!! My dogs would end up with no teeth if I lived there!!
    But coming here is a GREAT idea, I will even pick you up, take you to lunch and to the vet!! So just ring up Dr. Fusselman and tell him you would like to come in next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. Misery does NOT love company!! I'm just happy I wasn't home when the vet had Casey 'under' and asked if I just wanted to go ahead and have her teeth cleaned!! My husband would have kicked me out of the house... I could have gone to doggie dental school for cheaper!! Look at the bright side though - we get Botox and plastic surgery DIRT CHEAP! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I can't believe that. And to think I've been complaining about vet costs here. I think I will stop now. I love, love, love your blog. Maybe I will try to figure out how to start one. Miss you Karen :)

    ReplyDelete