Monday, August 2, 2010

Alright OC...I'll give you this one!

I have now lived in Orange County for one full year....and I still compare everything to how it was back home, so sue me.

Well, OC.....you rocked this one!

My husband and I decided to take the kids to the OC Fair on what seems to be the only day all summer that everyone has been off of work on the same day. I was really excited to spend the day with my kids, but I have to admit that I wasn't overly optimistic about what the fair was going to be like.

C'mon people, I'm from Texas ......The Texas State Fair is legendary. Schools of kids go down and watch as Big Tex is put together bit by bit and dressed in his finest western wear. News crews sit around and wait for that first sound bite of Big Tex saying, "Howdy Folks, Welcome to the Fair".
The rides are scary insane, the games are ridiculously hard to win, the animals smell like yesterdays garbage.....you know, a typical fair.......with the exception of the corn dogs!!!! Nothing typical about those bad boys.....they are what keep you going back year after year. They are so good that even Oprah almost flipped a gasket when she tried one.
So seriously, I wasn't really expecting much from the OC fair.

Oh. My. Gosh. Orange County, look at you go.....you know how to throw a fair!


It was HUGE! There were way more games, rides, food, and entertainment choices than we were used to. Heck, there was an entire huge craft fair in the midst of the dang thing. I was stunned.

Now, I have to admit that I wasn't brave/stupid enough to try the fair specialties of fried butter or chocolate dipped fried bacon. For some reason, anything being sold at a counter called the "Heart Attack Cafe" seemed like a good thing to avoid......but we did enjoy some Texas BBQ.

1 comment:

  1. okay but it still doesn't hold a candle to "fletchers" corney dogs!! I think we have a craft fair at ours....I bet ours is just so big you never saw it:)

    Just kidding, sounds awesome and I bet it was safer and no worries of being mugged and not nearly as hot!!!

    ReplyDelete